|By Jeffrey Abbott||
|January 24, 2014 07:00 AM EST||
There have been a flurry of "green cloud" announcements recently, and that got us thinking about the relationship between green IT and saving money. Green is also the color of money, after all, and companies are discovering that reducing data center costs leads to substantial green benefits. The cloud takes cost reduction and green even further.
In the first announcement, IBM continues to innovate in cloud and in green, and it has patented technology for distributing compute workloads for cloud computing in a way that reduces power consumption. I'd liken it to a load balancer, but instead of trying to reduce response times, they're trying to reduce power utilization overall. Now, it's really interesting because this is not just a green initiative but it is also a cost-savings opportunity for cloud service providers.
Power consumption is a major cost driver for cloud service providers. Often, it's pay-as-you go for storage, for compute, even for bandwidth. But no cloud provider is really charging for power utilization. This is a way for cloud service providers to reduce their sunk cost and improve their margins without having to charge the customers more. It's green, but it's also green for your wallet.
Our own experience in running data centers and providing cloud services bears this out. Every time we were greener, it was most of the time because we reduced consumption, and reduced consumption is reduced cost. This set us up for some really interesting conversations with executives because we had a story for each of them. For the chief sustainability officer, the conversations with her were around the carbon reduction. The conversations with the CFO were around the cost reductions. But this is just different ways of looking at the same story-it's both green and cost reduction.
Check out this recent Techviews Unplugged video on YouTube for more on saving money while being green.
- What’s In and What’s Out for IT in 2014
- The Data Lake Has Landed | @ThingsExpo #BigData #DevOps #IoT #M2M #API
- How to Save Money While Doing Green IT
- Creative Use Cases for 3D Printing
- Big Data Technology - the Rebel without a Cause | @BigDataExpo #BigData #DataLake
- IT and the Mobile User Experience
- Don’t Call #BigData Dead | @CloudExpo #IoT #AI #ML #MachineLearning
- Data Science says: “You don’t want a Ferrari.”
- Live From Strata + Hadoop World: Dry Lakes, Salt Lakes, Data Lakes
- Big Data is Tearing IT Apart